We used to carry a select range of US chocolates and candy during winter – they did not manage the Australian summer heat very well. All have interesting histories – here’s a few:
The Curtiss Candy Company has traditionally claimed that the Baby Ruth candy bar was named after President Grover Cleveland’s daughter, Ruth Cleveland. Always a shrewd advertiser, company founder Otto Schnering chartered a plane in 1923 to drop thousands of Baby Ruth bars over the city of Pittsburgh — each with its own mini parachute.
When it was first introduced in 1932, the 3 Musketeers bar was packaged to include three separate pieces of candy flavored vanilla, chocolate and strawberry — thus the name THREE Musketeers. Causing some confusion to tourists worldwide, the 3 Musketeers bar is called a Milky Way in many countries, and the U.S. version of the Milky Way is called a Mars Bar.
This Henry was the name of a young man who used to come to the Williamson Candy Store in Chicago where chocolate was being made and sold.Henry would kid around with the young ladies who made the candy. After awhile, they began asking Henry to do little jobs and favors. “Oh Henry, do this” or “Oh Henry, will you get me that?” Later that year (1921) “Oh Henry” became the name of the new candy bar.
The Butterfinger candy bar was invented by the Curtiss Candy Company of Chicago in 1923. A Butterfinger bar consists of a flaky/crispy orange-colored peanut-buttery center covered with a chocolate coating. The Butterfinger of today may not, however, be quite the same as the original bar — according to some reports, the original Butterfinger recipe was somehow lost when Nabisco acquired the Curtiss Candy Company. None of the old employees claimed to remember how to make the bars, so a new recipe had to be developed that customers would accept.
The hard fruit-flavored candy Jolly Rancher is manufactured by the Hershey’s Company and comes in over twenty flavors including green apple, watermelon, cherry, and lemon.The candy was first sold in the Jolly Rancher store, started by Bill and Dorothy Harmsen in Golden, Colorado in 1949.